THE EARTH SUSTAINING SCIENCES INSTITUTE
SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS THROUGH SCIENCE
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
AGRICULTURE, MINING, ECOLOGICAL, ENVIRONMENTAL & SOCIETAL SOLUTIONS
First They Ignore You...Then They Laugh at You...Then They Fight You...Then You Win
THE EARTH SUSTAINING SCIENCES INSTITUTE
First There is Concept...Then There is Laughter...Then There is Embracing...Then There is Shared Success
SHARED SUCCESS THE REALISATION OF ACHIEVABLE REALITY & ecosocietal sustainability
The intergenerational economic prosperity of remote peoples is closely aligned to the management of the environment and the growing issues surrounding clean and sustainable food, water, intrinsic community growth and sustainable business development.
The Intergenerational Polyculture Agriculture Project plans to develop sought after, rapid market specifically cultivated plantation timber, high protein animal feed, tropically acclimated high grade beef and meat sheep to provide for local consumption and export to Asian markets on a year round basis.The project will be low environmental impact, delivering high societal values and advancements, education, training and meaningful employment with effective long term commercial gain. Focus is upon Shared Success landowner and community equity and prosperity coupled with corporate, regional and national GDP growth.
The Project has realistic, technically sound, practical business and employment solutions pathways with the potential for major economic change focused upon Ecosocietal Prosperity, the driving precursor to individual, family, community and nation empowerment.
Polyculture advancement designs delivering multiple synergistic crop species culminating in a world leading products in Sustainable Agriculture commenced as a business integration strategy and developed into programs structured around minimum risk for maximum benefit operations to fulfill societal and commercial needs and opportunities. The focus of the operation is to ensure a structure which develops joint venture businesses that deliver community prosperity.
Preservation of natural systems, aquifer protection and surface water management delivering intergenerationally sustainable productivity.
- Land design that ensures the agricultural applications encourage natural habitat and land forms enhancing biodiversity
- Functional design and application for the effective management of natural resources and processes including the minimization of groundwater use and the appropriate use and preservation of surface water
- Communities preservation of existing ecosystems, societal and cultural viability
- Enhancement of natural systems, aquifer protection and surface water management delivering intergenerationally sustainable productivity.
- Land development of applications that provide for the enhancing of biodiversity in both natural habitat and agricultural land forms.
- Water development of conscious functional design and application that ensures the effective management of natural resources and processes including the minimization of groundwater use and the appropriate use and preservation of surface water.
- Communities development of existing ecosystems and societal and cultural viability.
The Project approach of tailored in house solutions delivers cost effective, practical and intergenerationally sustainable agricultural solutions.
REME RESOURCES PLANNING CONSULTANTS-EARTH SUSTAINING SCIENCES JV
PNG AND OCEANIA MINING SOLUTIONS CONSULTANCY (2016)
Papua New Guinea and Oceania Environmental Consultancy Principal
Mr. Ricks Tanda,
MSc. Resources Planning, BSc. (Enviro)
Ricks Nisia Tanda, Principal, Reme Resource Planning Consultants, is a Resources Planning and Environmental Management Specialist who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the ESS-Verde-Tech Group as JV Principal.
He completed an Environmental Science degree at the University of Papua New Guinea in 1992, becoming an Environmental Planner with the Department of Environment & Conservation. He completed a Master’s Degree in Regional and Resources Planning Program (MRRP) at New Zealand’s Otago University in 1997, his post graduate studies related to sustainable management of natural resources of the Pacific region and the sustainable management of PNG natural resources for the betterment and future of domestic generations.
Ricks worked his way up to Acting Deputy Managing Director, in the organisation reformed as the Conservation & Environment Protection Authority (CEPA), which administers the Fourth National Goal and Direction Principle of the National Constitution of Papua New Guinea; the sustainable use of the vast natural resources of PNG and its development for the betterment of the livelihoods of its people.
Ricks left CEPA on the 29th April 2016 after 25 years’ service to pursue consulting and personal goals to assist Papua New Guinean resource owners that need support in natural resource development projects, to ensure that people benefit significantly from their resources.
He worked closely with Dr. Wayne Sampey to develop the only demonstrated functional and economic ecosocietal solution to the Ok Tedi Mine Fly River systems and environs contamination in 2016 assisting in the development of intergenerationally effective rapid deployment solutions to water, soils and ecology contamination with the potential to all naturally in-situ treat the contamination and return the systems to fully functional within a time frame previously not considered possible.
Mining Solutions consultancy SERVICES
- Environmental Impact Assessments
- Ecosocietal Impact Assessments
- Environmental Management Planning
- Environmental Monitoring Reports
- Socioeconomic Assessments and Impact Studies
- Social and Societal Mapping and Landowner Identification Reports
- Environment Permit Application Reports
- Cultural Studies
- Environmental Permit Applications
- Environmental Damage Claim Assessment and Reporting
- Environmental Damage Rehabilitation
- Cost Benefit Analyses
- Economic Analyses
- Risk Assessments and Risk Management
- Site Rehabilitation Studies and Planning
- Public Policy Analyses
- Land Use Analyses and Planning
- Resources Investigations and Renewable Resource Studies
- Rural Development Planning
- Public Awareness and Consultation Programs
- Recreational, Cultural and Societal Impact Studies
- Community Development Planning
- All Facets of Rehabilitation, Environmental and Industry Training
- Earth Sciences
- Earth Engineering
- Resources Management
- Soil Solutions
- Water Solutions
- Desalination Solutions
- Bionutrification Solutions
- Rehabilitation Solutions
MINING EFFLUENT SOLUTION PROJECTS
There are cost-effective societally appropriate solutions to mining and industrial effluent and the environmental and societal destruction, riverine and oceanic waste discharge create. PNG has been exposed, for differing reasons, to major environmental, societal and financial risk through mining and industrial effluent and associated contamination.
The ESS-Verde-Tech Group has created the world’s first all-natural, highly economic, environmentally and societally sustainable solutions process to issues, inclusive of Acid Mine Drainage, Caustic Industrial Waste and Effluents and Desalination Management Processes, focused upon eco-societal outcomes that advance community and environmental solutions supporting community, region and national employment, business and environmental advancing developments.
The Symbiotic Aquatic BioReactor process (SABR) the only all-natural, cost-effective proven solution to mining and industrial waste, all-natural water and soil desalination abilities was demonstrated in PNG in 2016. The process is a scalable to any size and throughput using open systems. In situations where space is at a premium or contaminants may be especially hazardous, SABR can be implemented in closed systems. Complex chemistries often result in a system where conditions appropriate to strip one class of contaminants are conducive to stabilization of others in solution. SABR allows serial reactor implementation using different sets of bio-cells, such that consecutive manifolds can control all contaminants. SABR can rapidly, naturally and cost effectively treat AMD/ARD and acid and alkaline process waters (APW) and materials to a standard that allows their safe use on site, discharge off site or as high value organic fertigation, which continues to advance agricultural and natural soils and growth with negligible risk and within compliance requirements.
The SABR process, which relies on a managed microecology of locally occurring natural non-modified bacteria was demonstrated to the PNG government in October and November 2016 has been highly successful in managing pH and stripping metals and metalloid contaminants from mining and industrial water in conditions of 0.5 pH to 13.8 pH the world over.
The ESS-Verde-Tech Group has built upon this foundation and developed stable systems to biologically remove salinity (bio-desalination). The system is functional in two complimentary modes of implementation; one allows sustainable low-cost delivery of fresh water from seawater or brackish sources, whilst the second can desalinate soil to enhance fertility and arability. The ESSI Symbiotic Aquatic BioReactor Bioorganic Desalination Solution (SABRBODS) process was perfected in mid 2017 following more than 25 years of development. The result being an effective, affordable complete set of all-natural solutions in mining and industrial water treatment and desalination, environmental soils treatment, agricultural soil desalination, bioorganic nutrification, wetting, binding and surface stabilization in a single SABRLifecycle process.
The SABRBODS process is a unique combination of widely naturally occurring, microorganisms formed into microecological manifolds or SABR Symbiotic Colonies (SABR-SC) to cooperatively achieve targeted results. Thus far, 360 different SABR-SC’s have been developed and proven under a diverse range of conditions. The SABRBODS process, passive, local taxon structured water and soil treatment systems have thus-far successfully remediated all globally presented soil and water challenges with the demonstrated ability to raise the pH from 0.5 pH to 8.7 pH (up to 9 pH) or reduce it from 13.8 pH to 6.1 pH; balancing the effluent yield to neutral, stripping up to 99% of bioavailable metals and metalliferous contaminants, and significantly reducing up to 95% of salinity. The ESS-Verde-Tech Group has reduced seawater salinity from 35000 ppm to below 2000 ppm, and salt-lake and saline agricultural soils and water from 27000 ppm to reduced thus-far to less than 50 ppm.
The ESS-Verde-Tech Group’s goals are to utilise the SABR and SABRBODS processes to facilitate ecosystem-stable bioremediation and desalination of sea and surface and accessible waters for agricultural and human use, and the bioremediation, desalination, and reinvigoration of saline soils for agricultural use, in a commercially effective, sustainable manner
SABR is quick to implement and bring online, with initial tailoring of the approach through laboratory based wet chemistry, either in office or in field, followed by meso scale cost effective on site pilot reactors to determine a site specific bio-tuning and demonstrate that the full scale system will deliver appropriate results. The pilot biotuning process allows optimization of the SABR system to site specific donor geology, commodity beneficiation processes, water and soil chemistry and climate.
The pilot reactor usually generates initial indications within 7-days, though ESS-Verde-Tech Group recommends the trial continue for 30 days to demonstrate stability and ensure reactions are taken into full account. Following twenty years of development and field proving, SABR has demonstrated effectiveness in waters associated with coal mines, gold mines, platinum mines, iron mines, phosphate refinery effluents, phosphorous effluents, acid refinery effluents, polymineral, rare earth element and radiogenic element bearing effluents, power station effluents, fly ash effluents, alumina effluents and associated tailings. In all cases SABR delivered the solution.
ESS-Verde-Tech Group are specialists in the mitigation of growing intergenerational societal risks. To date in all applications, the Symbiotic Aquatic Bioreactor process (SABR), enabled complete remediation of disturbed ecology and rapid reinvigoration of riverine, riparian, lacustrine, wetland, littoral and soil systems. We utilise the SABR and SABRBODS processes to commercially deliver solutions to industry, environment and society, reducing and controlling mining, resources, industrial and agricultural contamination and degradation, reducing, remediating and rehabilitating natural ecology, environment and societal loss through water, soils and industrial and agricultural effluents. The process equally delivers solutions to metals, metalloids, salinity, hydrocarbons, chemical and associated contamination and nutrient depleted or over-nutrified soils.
OK TEDI WASTE PYRITE & BIGE STORED PYRITE STRATEGY OUTLINE
- Pyrite in storage stored adjacent to the Fly River in sub-water table cells at Beige by Ok Tedi Mining Limited is estimated by the Papua New Guinea government to be approximately 20-million tonnes; providing a significant prevailing effluent risk to the Fly River causing yet further acid mine drainage related contamination issues. Ongoing pyrite waste production from Ok Tedi is estimated by Ok Tedi Mining Ltd to continue at approx. 2.5 million tonnes per annum for the next 5 years. A total waste to resource volume of 32-million tonnes.
- Earth Sustaining Sciences and Joint Venture Partners who are currently operating a pyrite recovery, removal and rehabilitation project in another country have sought and received and MOU for sale of pyrite to corporate entities. Their intent is to remove the pyrites from Papua New Guinea’ de-risking environment and societal well-being, to be treated elsewhere permitting community managed Earth Sustaining Sciences supported remediation and rehabilitation of the sites generating community and national business focused on export agriculture.
- Earth Sustaining Sciences has been working with the Papua New Guinea government and its departments of agriculture and environment for several years to develop programs of ecological and environmental remediation and education tied to economic development in agriculture and allied environmental and societal undertakings in the form of profitable shared success partnerships with land holders, government and private industry; presented to, and favorably received by the Papua New Guinea government.
These proposals include creation of a Fly River Special Economic Zone in the regions for agricultural and commercial development, incurring special taxation status, in partnership with the Papua New Guinea government and the Indonesian government.
FLY RIVER ECOSOCIETAL SOLUTIONS PROJECT
During October through November 2016, Earth Sustaining Sciences (ESS), with strong support from the PNG government and the Ministry of Environment, ESS demonstrated the effectiveness of their Symbiotic Aquatic BioReactor Process (SABR).
ESS successfully treated Ok Tedi Mine waters, tailings and the waters, and sediments of the Ok Tedi, Ok Mani, Alice River and Fly Rivers, contributed to by the Porgera effluent delivered to the Strickland River. ESS also successfully demonstrated the SABR process on the die-back area soils and sediments of Ningoreum and Kokonda.
ESS has agreed to provide under contracts, their unique economically sustainable processes, techniques & methodologies to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, including training Papua New Guinean nationals in specialized ecosocietally effective, long-term environmental, community and industry solutions and the development of commercial Permaculture.
ESSI VERDE-TECH GROUP SERVICES
Agriculture Assessment, Design, Development, Marketing and Management
Livestock and Meat Production and Management
Environmental Impact Assessments
Environmental Management Planning
Environmental Monitoring Reports
Socioeconomic Assessments and Impact Studies
Social Mapping and Landowner Identification Reports
Environment Permit Application Reports
Environmental Permit Applications
Environmental Damage Claim Reports
Cost Benefit Analyses
Risk Assessments and Risk Management
Site Rehabilitation Studies and Planning
Public Policy Analyses
Land Use Analyses and Planning
Resources Investigations and Renewable Resource Studies
Rural Development Planning
Public Awareness and Consultation Programs
Recreational, Cultural and Societal Impact Studies
Community Development Planning
All Facets of Agriculture, Environmental and Industry Training
REMEDIATION & Rehabilitation Solutions
Solutions Based Upon
Practice, Arts, Language, Lore and Law