SABR Acid Mine Drainage Remediation
To date the SABR process has delivered all-natural, minimal risk solutions in water and solids treatment in the form of ‘SABRSimplex’, ’SABRComplex’, SABRBODS’ and ‘SABRBioSolve’ systems for the pH and contaminates management of effluent streams. The ‘SABRBioStim’ and ‘SABRBioGrow’ systems provide multiple level remediation of disturbed ecology, reinvigoration of riverine, riparian, wetland and soil systems progressing soils and growing systems for Environmental Rehabilitation, Environmental Agriculture and Agriculture and Organic Polyculture Permaculture applications.
‘SABR Simplex and ’SABR Complex Systems have delivered all-natural, minimal risk solutions in:
Mining and minerals processing:
- Lead and Zinc,
- Iron ore,
- Poly metals, and
- Rare Earths.
- Phosphate refining,
- Acid manufacture,
- Alumina refining,
- Coal fired power generation.
Tailings, (wet tailings and dry stockpile):
- Iron ore,
- Phosphogypsum, and
- Fly ash.
SABR BioSolve Systems have delivered all-natural, minimal risk solutions in:
- Bauxite/Alumina Refining Effluent and Red Mud Stockpile and Residue, and
- Phosphogypsum Effluent and Waste Stockpile remediation.
SABR BioStim and SABR BioGrow Systems have delivered solutions in Tropical, Temperate, Hot Arid and Cold climes and environments including:
- Element saturated,
- Nutrient depleted,
- High Salinity,
- Riverine, and
The SABRBODS process, passive, local taxon structured water and soil treatment systems have thus-far successfully remediated all globally presented water challenges with the demonstrated ability to raise the pH from 0.5 to 8.7pH (up to 9pH) or reduce it from 14 pH to 6.1pH balancing the realised effluent to neutral, stripping up to 99% of bioavailable metals and metalloid contaminants significantly reducing salinity by more than 95%.
The SABR BioCell approach to mineral and process affected waters has been advanced and demonstrated the following in separate applications in:
- Gold mine heavily metalliferous pit lake water 2.8 pH to 9 pH in 360hrs.
- Gold mine uranium reduction from above 30 µg/L to zero in 360 hrs.
- Polymetals mine radionuclide reduction from above 110 µg/L to zero in 24 hrs.
- Gold mine arsenical pit lake water 890 μg/L to 3 μg/L in 24hrs.
- Platinum mine metalliferous waste discharge water 4.3 pH to 6.9 pH in 24hrs
- Acid refinery heavily metalliferous waste discharge water 0.5 pH to 3.9 pH in 48hrs.
- Phosphogypsum heavily metalliferous water 1.5 pH to pH in 48hrs.
- Coal mine heavily metalliferous pit water 1.9 pH to 6.4 pH in 60hrs.
- Coal fired power station water 9.8 pH to 5.3 pH in 60hrs and to 6.5 pH in a further 20hrs.
- Coal fired power station fly ash 9.8 pH to 5.3 pH in 60hrs and to 6.5 pH in a further 20hrs.
- Coal mine heavily metalliferous underground decant water 1.5 pH to 5.6 pH in 60hrs.
- Coal mine underground decant water 2.5 pH to 5.4 pH in 24hrs and to 7.4 pH in 260hrs.
- Copper mine effluent from 2.25 pH to 7.2 pH in 12 hours and 6.5 pH to 7.8 pH in 4 hours.
- Gold mine tailings storage heavily metalliferous water 4.3 pH to 5.5 pH in 24hrs.
- Gold mine waste dump heavily metalliferous water 1.5 pH to 6.5 pH in 24hrs.
- Iron ore mine heavily metalliferous pit water 2.46 pH to pH 7 pH in 24 hrs.
- Copper processing effluent from 3.76 pH to 7.4 pH in 23 hours.
- Copper processing effluent from 2.1 pH to 7.2 pH.
- Fly River PNG metalliferous water 6.02 pH to 7.4 pH in 12 hrs.
- Fly River riparian and agricultural metalliferous soil 5.51 pH to 7.65 pH in 12 hrs.
- Pyrite processing effluent from 5.5 pH to 7.8 pH in 12 hours.
- Bauxite & Alumina effluent and red mud tailings from 13.8 pH to below 7 pH in 50 hrs.
- Mine pit lake salinity 25 ppt reduced by 66% to 8.9 ppt (2014)in 168 hrs.
- Mine Pit Lake Salinity 1.48 ppt reduced by 76% to 0.36 ppt (2017) in 114 hrs.
- Gold mine poisoned wetland systems remediated to comprehensive growth in 700 hrs.
- Gold mine contaminated soils remediated from zero to comprehensive growth in 2,000 hrs.
- Salt contaminated soils remediated from 27200 ppt to 0.05 ppt in 72 hrs.
- Seawater salinity 35 ppt reduced by more than 86% to sub-2 ppt (2017) in 72 hrs with development expanding.
- Sustainable vegetation growth in highly contaminated tailings materials in 130 hrs.
- Crop biostimulation advancing germination by up to 30% and increasing growth by up to 300%.
- Acidic metaliferrous tailings drainage-degraded old growth vegetation rehabilitated in 400 hrs.
*SABR pH improvements are accompanied by desirable metals, metalloids and other contaminants reductions (chemically, the two processes go hand in hand) as shown in the following real case data tables and graphs. (Results measured according the ANZECC 2000 Guidelines)
*Some data presented above does not reveal all levels of improvement; final treatment level abilities remaining undisclosed due to client requirements under NDA.
The SABR AMD solutions application assessments are conducted over 14-days, incorporating:
- Site and regional and potentials investigation,
- Design of substrates and minimal risk microbiological manifolds, and development of plans,
- Design of tailored SABR bioreactor application pilot and system.
SABR-AMD and metal remediation open pit mine
SABR-Metal reductions from Table 1
Note the Sulfate line, this is not simply another sulphate reducing bacteria system.
SABR-Three reactor system running for 2 months
SABR-Metal reduction over all three reactors from Table 2
SABR Process Demonstrating it is More Than A Simple Sulfate Reducing Process.
SABR-POLISHING WETLAND SUPPORT
As a useful, though not essential, addition for long term remediation projects, SABR can be implemented with an artificial wetland for final polishing. Such systems work hand in hand with SABR to further lower contaminant levels, increase dwell time to enable further testing of pre-release water stability should such be a requirement by your regulator, and increase emergency containment in the unlikely case of a flooding event or inadvertent high flow rates through operator error. If a wetland polish is an appropriate part of your site solution, ESS can design and implement, or SABR can be tailored to work with the wetland system you already have in place.